Saturday 27 July 2013

Chloe's Mac & Cheese

So, on my latest YouTube video for 'Skills Saturday' (link below) I made the all time classic 'Mac & Cheese'. Due to the fact that I am a pretty awful cook it had many inevitable ups and downs. The recipe was taken from the amazing cookbook by one of my favourite vegan's Chloe Coscarelli, whose website is http://chefchloe.com/. I met her earlier this year and she is such a bubbly and smiley person, her smile was pretty contagious! 

During the video I found myself slightly overwhelmed when there were so many things going on (memory cards running out, pasta nearly done, etc) and in the end I wasn't able to film the entire process of making the sauce. Now, the video was also more than anything to show that if I can cook vegan food then you can too therefore it wasn't specifically about the dish. However, if you are interested in recreating the dish, which I hope that you are because it turned out so good, then you can get the recipe (and 124 more!) in Chloe's book which really is worth getting. However, the ingredients for this specific recipe are as follows:


  • 1 pound macaroni
  • 1/4 cup vegan margarine
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (I used gluten-free)
  • 3 cups soy, almond, or rice milk (I used almond)
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt (I used pink Himalayan)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I used a bit of fresh garlic instead - worked a treat!)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I just randomly squeezed 1/2 a fresh lemon in)
  • 1 tablespoon agave
  • 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs (I used 2 small slices of a leftover wholemeal hovis loaf!)



Don't forget, like I did, that the conversions are different in American books including the temperature that the oven needs to be set at. I also halved the recipe as it normally serves 6. I hope you enjoy the video and that you have as much fun as I did at trying to recreate this wonderful feel good dish. 

Love, bean xx


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYBOlJLJpPs&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment